Hello PPMA members and friends
Our guest blogger this week is Jenny O’Neill, Resourcing Manager at Buckinghamshire County Council & PPMA CIPD Resourcing & Talent Planning Forum Lead. Jenny recently attend a joint PPMA/HPMA event called ‘Closing the Gap’ and below she shares with us her learnings from the day.
“I thought I would just catch up with you on an integrated HR event I attended on 2 February run by HPMA & PPMA. It was a thought provoking and useful day with lots of people attending from across health and local government and some fantastic speakers.
Highlights for me were around ‘systems thinking’ for managing resources and finding strategic OD/HR solutions in our workplaces. For example…
- Our definitions of workforce should include workers who are paid, unpaid, commissioned providers and informal carers – as HR /OD professionals we need integrated thinking & integrated systems for future workforce planning
- That different sector experience has real added bonus – Health Service & Local Government in particular to help understand roles and cultures on each side, but also private sector experience for the commercial edge. We need to find recruitment, secondment & development opportunities to reflect this and build it into our talent & succession planning.
- Our workforce needs to train, learn and operate as ‘integrated teams’ not just as individual professionals – again the role of HR&OD comes into play to help with integrated learning and working to help our workforce see the ‘bigger picture’ for service provision.
- We should worry less about the ‘terms and conditions’ end of integration challenges and focus more on the values and behaviours to mobilise our workforce to bring about change.
- We all will need more accountability/commercial understanding and assertive approaches to how we deliver.
It certainly gave me lots of things to think about strategically for resourcing in Buckinghamshire and to pick up conversations with other work colleagues. See the slides here if you want more information.”
Jenny O’Neill, Resourcing Manager Buckinghamshire County Council & PPMA CIPD Resourcing & Talent Planning Forum Lead.